ISO 27001 is an internationally recognised standard designed to help businesses protect and manage their information assets. The standard’s framework supports you to implement and maintain a robust information management system (ISMS) that complies with regulations.
Business benefits of Implementing ISO 27001
1. Effective risk management
ISO 27001 requires that you:
- Assess threats to your information security and identify weaknesses.
- Put measures in place to control the risks.
- Continually monitor and evaluate risks and measures.
- Systems in place to protect your information assets and minimise disruption.
- Save money by reducing data breaches and incidents.
- Peace of mind for customers that their information is protected and only accessible to authorised users.
The standard provides a clear framework in which to manage your regulatory and legal obligations. It also requires that you review and communicate your legal obligations to other interested parties.
- Reduce the risk of fines or prosecution.
- Increase stakeholder trust and confidence in your commitment to data protection.
- Easier to achieve and maintain legal compliance.
3. Stakeholder engagement
ISO 27001 requires organisations to:
- Identify all internal and external stakeholders relevant to your ISMS.
- Communicate your organisation’s ISMS policy to the workforce and support their understanding of it in relation to their job roles.
- Demonstrate top-level management commitment to defining ISMS roles and ensuring individuals are competent.
- Greater information security awareness amongst all relevant parties.
- Reduces risk of information security breaches by employees.
- Demonstrates organisation-wide commitment to information security and legal compliance.
ISO 27001 requires that you:
- Identify risks to your information security and put proportionate controls in place to manage or reduce them.
- Implement processes that enable swift detection in the event of a breach.
Continually monitor and improve your ISMS.
- Enhances your business reputation and stakeholder trust.
- A shared and increased understanding of risk internally and amongst interested parties.
- Increased trust and credibility, and therefore competitive advantage in the marketplace.
How to become ISO 27001 certified
Achieving ISO 27001 certification gives a clear message to your stakeholders and customers that you take data protection seriously. It also provides a solid foundation for complying with the GDPR and other data protection regulations.
Understanding and meeting the standard’s requirements can be an arduous task for businesses. At NDC, we have the skills, experience and connections to make the process straightforward. Working in partnership with cyber security experts, Soitron UK, our qualified lead auditors can support you to achieve certification and maintain your organisation’s resilience.
“…keeping the UK safe from cyber-attacks is now as important as fighting terrorism.” – ISO